Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Oatmeal Cubes

Our hungry kiddo is very pleased with his new banana muffins. He loves feeding himself!
I've seen on plenty of lists that oatmeal is a great finger food. I love oatmeal, but whenever I severed him a little of mine it ended up everywhere. While I'm firmly in the camp of let kids get dirty, I thought there must be a better way to eat oatmeal.

I decided to find a recipe and give it a try. It's not much different from the muffins, so I knew they would be a hit! I borrowed and edited a bit this recipe from Feeding Finn

Blueberry Oatmeal Cubes

What you need:

Mini silicon baking tray (or mini muffin pan)  

1 Ripe Banana 
1 cup oats (Instant or rolled, I've used both)
1 Egg
1 Teaspoon cinnamon 
1/4 cup yogurt 
2 Tablespoons water
Frozen blueberries to your kiddos liking

Let's Bake:

Set your oven to 350

- Mash up your ripe banana in a bowl (make sure bowl is large enough for all of your ingredients)
- Add the cup of oats and stir until combined
- Add one egg and cinnamon and mix
- In a small bowl mix yogurt and water, then add to the rest of ingredients*
*for the record this was because I didn't have any milk like Feeding Finn calls for... so I "made" my own.
- Fold in your frozen blueberries

- Grease your mini muffin pan or grab your silicon baking tray
- Measure out and distribute your batter (I used one Tablespoon) to ensure even cooking


- Cook for 20-30 minutes 

These were going to a MOMs meeting, so I let them cool quickly and then popped them into a to go container and we were off! 

They were a huge success. They are easy to hold, and they firm up when they are cooking so they make minimal mess (always a plus). This can be upgraded for an older child by adding a little brown sugar or maybe even some peanut butter! The possibilities are endless!

Enjoy! 




No comments:

Post a Comment