Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Bread

As a self-proclaimed carboholic (with a conscious), I wanted to let my hungry kiddo enjoy the wonders of bread, but without all the chemicals that plague the modern day loaf.  So I had my mom dig out her old bread machine, which my dad was more than happy to get out of his basement, and I got to work.
Side note: If you don't have a bread machine, you should hit up some garage sales or purge your mother of hers. While it does take forever to get to the final product all you have to do is throw your ingredients in, set it, and forget it. Could there be anything better for a busy family? It's the crock pot of the bread world. Not to mention that your house smells fantastic for hours, and you feel pretty bad-ass when you tell some one that you made your own {delicious} bread!

I found one (ONE - can you believe it?!) baby friendly bread recipe, but it wasn't perfect. The first time I whipped it together, it came out pretty dense. It was well received - so I tried it again. This time I put my spin on it!

This bread has a great sourdough taste, and best of all it freezes really well - so no wasted bread! What can you do with this bread you ask? Anything! So far I've made french toast and grilled cheese! Both huge hits!


French Toast! Sandwich bread dipped in egg with cinnamon
Grilled Cheese with Zucchini - no idea how I achieved such a perfectly golden crust!

Sandwich Bread 

What you need:

Bread Machine
Large Bowl
Small Bowl

3 and 1/2 Cups of Flour
1 Teaspoon Yeast
1 and 1/4 cup Water
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Vinegar

Let's Bake:

- In your large bowl add your 3 and 1/2 cups of flour
- In a small bowl add your yeast and only 1/4 cup water*
*Make sure that this water is warm - I like to run my faucet until the water gets warm enough to keep my fingers in it, but not too hot.
- Let this small bowl sit while you make the rest of the bread, this is letting the yeast proof
- Add the remaining cup of water to your flour
- Add your Olive oil and vinegar
- Add in your proofed yeast
- Mix to combine slightly, just to get all the ingredients together


- Pour dough into the bread machine
- Set your bread machine to a white bread and for a 1-1.5lb loaf


- Now forget it and soon you will have a beautiful bread!





-Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment