Search This Blog

Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mixing and Matching

So if you have been on Pinterest recently, you will notice that there seem to be all of these mothers making these elaborate purees... I would look at these purees and think "wow, that looks delicious!" And then I would remember that I'm more of a purist and decided to stick to mixing and matching my purees, rather than making complex flavor profiles. But hey, that's just me.

Most of my pureeing took place a night, when I would have preferred to be relaxing. So my method of spicing up my purees, was just that. I used flavor!

Cinnamon, Cumin, Curry powder, Garlic powder, Italian spice blend, Pepper

Anything really that I had, other than salt.

What is great about spices is that I could make my big batch of purees, and add my spices in on the day that I was using them. This allowed for variety and a little more control over the flavor of the purees on any given day.

Cinnamon was my go to. If he wasn't loving something I would sprinkle a little cinnamon on it and suddenly it was the best thing I ever made.

I'm also not proud of it, but I've been known to just mash a banana into anything - the sweetness and thickness of it, pretty much overpowered anything that he wasn't loving [which happened often].

I would also mix and match some of my already prepared and frozen purees. A favorite is apple sauce mixed with broccoli, and cinnamon of course! I loved serving this up for breakfast! Nothing like getting one of your veggie servings out of the way early!

Other mix and match purees:

  • Chicken and Carrots - this was not well received
  • Red Pepper and Potato (some times I would mix in a strong fruit like pear or apple)
  • Spinach and Potato 
  • Pear and Asparagus 
  • Sweet Potato and Chicken - also not well received (are you sensing a theme with chicken)



Don't be afraid to get creative! 

No comments:

Post a Comment