Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Finger Foods

Purees weren't all that exciting in my book. I was happy to see that he enjoyed eating, and that he was adventurous. It also allowed me to introduce flavors that I could build upon now that I can make him finger foods.

I'd like to say that I did the whole gradual process of thickening purees to ease him into solids, but I didn't. I just started putting finger foods in front of him to see what he would do!

I started with baby carrots. I felt like they were solid enough to not break apart and choke him, and they came in a convenient size. He couldn't get enough of it! It has become my go to snack.

This is also when I really started to utilize my fresh food feeder. It allowed me to give him foods that I wasn't too comfortable with yet, but it also allowed me to give him the purees he started to refuse. My little eater decided somewhere along the line that he was too cool for purees. He wasn't, however, proficient in feeding himself just yet - most foods would slip out of his hands and into his bib before it hit his mouth. So I got creative and made some really thick purees and packed the fresh food feeder and let him feed himself his puree - win win!

Finger Food Go Tos:

  • Peeled and quartered Zucchini
  • Frozen peas
  • Quartered Cucumbers
  • Frozen Edamame
  • Lima Beans 
  • Apple Core
  • Pear Core 
  • Baked Sweet potato 
  • Frozen Blueberries
  • Quartered Blueberries
  • Diced Strawberries
  • Sliced Bananas 
  • Chickpeas
  • Black Beans
  • Avocado
  • Raw Carrots
  • Steamed Carrots
  • Broccoli 
After I exhausted all of these, I started playing around with recipes, and things like eggs, peanut butter, and dairy.

Recipes to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment