Search This Blog

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Banana Muffin

When my easy egg breakfast dream was dashed, I decided to get us out of our breakfast rut once and for all. He was so over purees that he refused to eat anything off a spoon, and we were reduced to putting the puree down on his tray and hoping he got some in his mouth. On the plus side, we learned how to paint our high-chair tray.

I was in my pantry and something red caught my eye - it was a silicon mini muffin pan that someone had given me a long time ago. The lightbulb went off! This would be perfect for some breakfast muffins. I wouldn't have to use anything to ensure that the muffins didn't stick to the tray! Then I found out that my new favorite blog BLWideas had a yummy muffin recipe and I had my inspiration! 

What you need:

Silicon baking tray or mini muffin tray 
Blender 

1 Banana 
1 Tablespoon peanut butter
2 Eggs
4 Tablespoons baby cereal 
Cinnamon to taste 
Fruit of choice (frozen blueberries, fresh blueberries, fresh strawberries, mango...)

Let's Bake:

Preheat your oven to 350

- In your blender put in a peeled banana, nut butter of choice, both eggs, baby cereal, and cinnamon
- Blend until smooth
- Add in your fruit of choice (If you want your fruit whole, just fold it into the batter, otherwise blend away!)
- I used fresh blueberries in this batch
- Measure out equal parts* batter into your silicon pan, or greased tray (I used one tablespoon)
* This is important to guarantee even and equal cooking - you don't want to undercook these, especially with the eggs involved.


- Pop into the oven and cook for 20-30 mins (I cook them until the muffin pulls away from the silicon, and then I panic that they aren't cooked through enough, make my husband eat one, then put them back in the cooling oven. I can't be responsible for food poisoning my baby!)
- Let them cool in their pan for as long as you can stand it. They tend to be fragile.
- I like to refrigerate them before serving. You can pop them in the microwave to heat them up, or serve them cold! Whichever your little one prefers.
- Try not to eat them all yourself :)


*Update* I recently blended in a handful of spinach, and they came out great! Now these bad boys hit the mark on everything - delicious and nutritious! 




No comments:

Post a Comment