Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Baby Meatballs

Be honest. How many times have you started looking for a new recipe and typed in "baby _____"? I've done it countless times and every time I just get recipes and pictures of miniature versions of what I am looking for.
So this title is for you, mom, who typed in baby meatball, and behold got a recipe for a meatball that is baby friendly!


As feeding himself became more of the norm, and not just a great picture opportunity, I started to looking for foods that could provide the nutrients that were once easy to provide in a puree form. While he still hates chicken, I could coax some protein into him with a nice chicken and pear puree. Now that we are feeding ourself, he picks up the shredded chicken, boldly locks eyes with me, and then drops the chicken onto the floor. This is when I start to think I need a dog... 

So how could I get some protein into him. A meatball! 

This is super easy to make, loaded with veggies (shhhh), and it fills him up! 

Baby Meatballs 

What you will need: 

Baby Bullet (or any kind of blender)
Food scale (or a realllly good eye)
Cheese Grater 

1 pound ground beef (or Turkey or ground meat of choice)
Zucchini 
1/2 cup oats 
1 egg
Seasonings of choice

Let's Bake:  

Preheat oven to 350. 

Do it first - really. I've done it plenty of times. I'm all ready to pop something into the oven and its cold. Really puts a damper on your groove.

- Add your ground meat to a bowl 

- Use your cheese grater to grate in as much zucchini as you want. 
       It is a watery vegetable, so keep that in mind when it comes to making your meatballs stick together 

-  Use your baby bullet (with the grinder setting) to grind up your oats in to an oat flour

- Add oat flour to your bowl 

- Add one egg 

- Add seasonings of choice - I use pepper, garlic powder, and an italian mix 



- Mix away! 

- I use a food scale to measure out my meat balls - this allows me to know how much my little guys starts out with.



- Then pop your meatballs into the oven for about 20 mins or until your food thermometer says they are done.

- Always make sure to test them to make sure they aren't poisonous ;)

These meatballs are fantastic! They tick off the iron supplement that babies need, they can be cut up into bite-size pieces, and they store really well.

These meat balls are really versatile! You can really play around with them. I also make a Turkey ball and I think it is a bigger hit than this! 

(Turkey, Spinach, Parmesan, & Beef, Zucchini, Mozzarella)


I usually keep out as many as I'm going to use in that week, and freeze the rest in a freezer bag. Let them cool off first before freezing, otherwise they will freeze together and get freezer burn.
Added bonus: If you forget to take out your meatballs the night before (guilty) they heat up really quickly in the microwave - just be careful to let them cook off before handing them over! 

Enjoy! 

Let me know what other options you come up with!






No comments:

Post a Comment