Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

DIY Baby Puffs

The reason that I started making all of my own food is because I wanted to be able to pronounce all of the ingredients in my baby's food. We try to be organic when we can, but at the end of the day we want what is best for our little guy, and to us that means the fewer the ingredients - the better!

So, when it became apparent that our little guy wanted to start feeding himself (or at least try to) I started looking at the baby puffs. I knew that they would be a great first step into the world of self feeding. But every time I flipped around a package of pre-made puffs I was greeted with a mile long list of ingredients. So I said to myself, "why not make your own?"

Don't worry, it was a fail.

I'd like to think it wasn't so much of a fail on the execution, but rather a fail on timing. It was my first attempt at making something homemade for my little guy, and I was so excited, but I think he just wasn't ready for what the end product was. I did extensive research, trying to find a recipe that included foods that he had already tried and didn't have a problem with, and that also didn't have dairy in them, because he wasn't cleared for that yet.
In the end, I found a lovely recipe, they were easy enough to make, and I though they tasted pretty good. But clearly they were quite offensive, and he couldn't be bothered by them in the least. I tried giving them to him multiple different times, and each time he rejected them. Maybe it was their color, maybe it was their texture, maybe they just weren't crispy enough - whatever the reason, ultimate fail.

But what my child hates, could be your child's favorite! So don't like my experience with them slow you down! Maybe you can tell me what I did wrong.


DIY Baby Puffs

Ingredients:

4 ounces Sweet Potato
4 ounces Apple Sauce
4 ounces Banana
1 Egg (I was comfortable using the whole egg, but you can just use the yoke if you want)
Spices to taste
Baby cereal if the batter is too loose

Let's Bake:

Start by roasting the Sweet potato, whole, in the oven at 350 until you can stick a knife easily through them.

Keep your oven at 350 for the puffs later

While that is going on peel and boil your apples until they are tender.

Using your blender or bowl with masher, combine the roasted sweet potato, tender apples and bananas and blend until smooth

Add in the egg

Add in any spices you would like to flavor them

Add any amount of baby cereal if the batter is too loose

Spoon mixture into pipping bag, if you have one, or a plastic bag with the tip cut off. Cut off a VERY SMALL portion of the bag. The batter is loose and you want to create a "chip" like puff

Pipe your puffs on to parchment paper

Cook until edges turn slightly brown, depending on your oven 15-20 mins

Keep in mind you are cooing with eggs, so you want to make sure they are completely cooked through

That's it! I hope your baby likes them more than mine did.

Sorry there aren't any pictures, here is the recipe I adapted from if you want to see their one picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment