Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2016

Chicken Pot Pie Pockets

When one of my favorite instagrammers posted this recipe, I was sold. Pot pie is one of my favorite childhood meals, and I couldn't wait to share it with my kiddo! I had visions of making these all fall and winter, and passing on the love of pot pie...
He hates them. My heart hurts.
But the recipe is too good not to share.

What you need:

2 chicken breasts
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
1 small onion
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp sour cream
1 cup chicken stock
2 tsp corn starch
Fresh Pastry dough, or your favorite store bough variety
Milk to brush pies (or egg - see notes in recipe)

Small sauce pot
Pan to Saute
Baking sheet
Parchment Paper
Rolling Pin
Mason Jar top

Let's Bake!

- Start by putting your chicken breasts into your small sauce pot.
- Season your chicken how you want. I used salt, pepper, and some curry for some color.
- Cover with chicken stock and simmer for about 20 mins or until chicken is cooked through




















- While the chicken is simmering, cut up your small onion
- Place cut up onion and butter into sauté pan


- Check your chicken for doneness, then shred it


- Add your chicken, and one cup of the stock (add more from your box if too much boiled off) to the onions

- Lower your heat to about medium and add in your sour cream and stir until everything incorporates


- Let the sauce thicken a bit while you are stirring, then add in your corn starch 




















- The corn starch with really thicken the sauce. It with go from a loose soup to a more gravy like consistency that will be slow to come back together.
- Once you reach the gravy stage add in your frozen mixed vegetable and stir for 5 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through




















- Take the sauce off of the heat and let it cool before you use it

- Pre-heat your oven to 350

- Get your baking sheet ready by covering it with parchment paper
- Start rolling out your pastry dough
- Using the top of a mason jar cut out two circles (top, bottom)


- Place the bottom on the baking sheet, spoon your cooled filling into the middle of the circle
- Place your second circle on top and using a fork seal the two circles together


- Brush the tops with milk* and pop in the oven for about 25 mins or until golden brown 
* I have to say I was curious to see how milk worked as opposed to an egg wash. I was not impressed. Since I won't be making these again, I can't try the egg, but I would recommend it. 


- Enjoy!

I hope your kiddo enjoys this childhood classic more than mine does!


No comments:

Post a Comment