Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Fresh Pastry Dough

I've been looking for vessels to put the kiddo's food in. He's ooooover everything that I've posted so far.  Luckily he still loves breakfast - scrambled eggs, french toast, oatmeal, muffins, and frittatas. Needless to say lunch and dinner have become very trying. We've lapsed into eating a lot of small meals though out the day. I think it is him trying to tell me he wants to be a little bit more independent, or maybe he's just too chatty - he keeps making his bits of food talk to each other instead of eating them. Whatever this little eating bump is, there has been some light. He loves these pinwheels! I have even been able to sneak some chicken into them undetected (shhhhhh).

I saw someone make pinwheels for their little kiddo, and I was sold. But I ran into that similar problem - pastry dough, while flaky and delicious, has too many ingredients in it for my kiddo. So what did I do? Put my bread machine back to work. I made a fresh dough, and then filled that dough with all sorts of yumminess.

Fresh Pasty Dough

What You Need:

Bread Machine

1/2 cup water
3/4 cup butter (unsalted)
2 1/2 cups flour

Let's Bake:

- First place your butter in the freezer for about 15-20 mins



- While the butter is chilling measure out a 1/2 cup of water and throw some ice in it



- Get your bread machine ready and measure out your flour
- The reason for the freezer and ice is because you want to preserve the buttery goodness for as long as possible throughout the dough process! This will give you the flakey quality that you are looking for.
- After 15 mins, cube up your butter and put it in the bread machine


- Add your 1/2 cup of ice cold water (leave out the ice)
- Add your 2 1/2 cups of flour
- Set your bread machine to dough and go about your business! This is a great nap time prep!
- Once the dough is done split it into two even balls
- I used one immediately for pinwheels, and froze the other 


This first dough I used came out a bit dense. I will probably let it rest a little more before I use it again. When I used the frozen dough - it was perfect! Light and fluffy and a HUGE hit.
I will be using this again to make pizza, and maybe even cinnamon rolls!
Stay tuned for the pinwheels!

Enjoy! 







No comments:

Post a Comment