Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Spinach and Ricotta Pinwheels

Now that you have a delicious pastry dough at your disposal. It is time to put it to good use!

I jumped right in and made a pinwheel. My kiddo loves them. Currently on the short list of acceptable foods.

I won't waste anymore time, here we go!

Spinach and Ricotta Pinwheels 

What you need:

Rolling Pin
Hard Flat Surface to work on
Hand blender with bowl attachment, or blender
Small Bowl
Non-stick baking sheet

Pastry Dough
Flour to dust surface
2 Handfuls of Spinach
1/2 cup ricotta Ricotta
Spices
Egg for egg wash (optional)

Let's Bake

- Preheat oven to 400
- Dust your surface with some flour
- Place your pre made dough in the flour and use your rolling pin to flatten out the dough
You can see that the dough is thin, but not too thin that it will fall apart if you move it. Remember we are stuffing this dough! 
- Let the dough rest while you blend up your handfuls of spinach 
You want to make sure that the spinach is chopped up fine, but not into a paste
- In a small bowl mix together your 1/2 cup of ricotta (or more to taste) chopped spinach, and spices 
- Take mixture and spoon it on to your rolled out dough 
- Evenly spread mixture all the way to the edge of the dough 
I made these twice before posting - props if you noticed that the dough was different!
- Now this is where I made my mistake. I rolled my dough from top to bottom. I should have rolled it from left to right (referring to the picture) 
- This would have allowed me to have a longer amount of dough to work with and to cut up.
- Once you have your dough and filling all rolled up, let the dough chill for a few minutes in the fridge (another mistake I made, and I had my filling spilling out all over the place. Made this mistake twice, and they still come out fine, but I invasion that the dough will cut better - you will have to let me know!)
- Line your non-stick baking sheet with your cut pinwheels - mine were about 1.5-2 inches wide
- They will not rise so you can put them pretty close together 
- The first time I made these I didn't put and egg wash on them, and they came out fine. If you are looking to make a more eye appealing pinwheel, then I would suggest an egg wash. Looking at the pictures, I know which one I would want to eat - but kids [sometimes] aren't picky.
With egg wash
Without egg wash 

- Pop them in the over for 30-40 min
- Keep out what you need and freeze the rest. They freeze beautifully!


Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment