Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2016

Cheese-It's (No added salt, no coloring!)

The other day I found myself finishing a box of cheese-it's. Every time I brought another handful to my mouth I was saying this is the last one. But it is never the last one, because, well, they are cheese-it's. Luckily I was snacking sans baby, but in retrospect, I probably would have eaten less because I wouldn't have enough time to snack. Anyway, after scanning the ingredient list, I figured I could do myself a favor and make my own cheese-it's.

The recipe is crazy simple, and baby friendly! I made sure to use white cheddar to avoid color additives, and grated my own cheese to nix those pesky anti-caking ingredients, like potato starch. Added bonus this recipe only has 4 ingredients. Four!

What you need:

Cheese Grater
Food Processor
Silicon Baking Sheet
Plastic Wrap
Flour for dusting your working surface
Rolling Pin
Cookie Cutter of your choosing (Smallest you have)

4oz Shredded Cheddar
2Tbsp Cold Butter
1/2 Cup Flour
1Tbsp Cold Water

Let's Bake:
- Grate your cheese
- In your food processor add your grated cheese, cold butter, and flour

- Pulse until you have a very fine dough

- Slowly add in your water until the dough comes together. I added in one tablespoon at a time

- The dough should stick together, and shouldn't fall apart when picked up
- Form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and let it chill in the refrigerator for about 20 mins
- After your dough has chilled, Set your oven to 350 degrees 
- Put some flour on your working surface and roll out the dough.


- The dough should be thin enough to see through. It you want to keep it thick, then your cheese-it's will come out puffier 




















- Once your dough is rolled out to your desired thickness, use your cookie cutter to cut your cheese-it's out of the dough.
- I only had a piping bag tip on had so, that it what I used. But next time I'm thinking a pizza cutter might be a easier option. Especially since these don't look anything like cheese-it's, and I know that might make some kiddos say "no way!"
- Place your cheese-it's on your silicon tray, I used a tooth pick to add the center dot to make them more cheese-it authentic. 

- Put these bad boys in the oven for about 15 mins, they should crisp right up, so watch them if you have a temperamental oven. 


Don't these look great?! I had to remind myself on multiple occasions that these were for the kiddo, not me. I only made 3 dozen out of this, and froze the rest of the dough. I wanted to see if it froze well. It does. 
The second time I made them I didn't put the enter hole and I used a convection oven. I think the center hole kept them flatter and crispier, but I could be wrong. Either way my kiddo loves the crunch and the flavor. I store them in a plastic bag or tupperware in the fridge, and they retain their freshness, flavor, and crispiness!

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment